Wednesday, May 8, 2013

LJB is 3! (tomorrow)

May 8th, 2010
Three years ago today, I was walking and walking and walking and walking through the halls of Saint Joseph East trying to speed up my labor.  It was the grand opening of the new Women’s Hospital and there were giddy, expectant parents everywhere touring the new facility.  I was about to be a mama.  Everything was perfectly peaceful.


1 Month Old ;)
 

Two years ago, my little baby was about to be one year old.  That first year flew by faster than any year of my life to date.  He was so handsome, so sweet, so perfect.  LJB had the baldest little 1 year old head and still has those piercing baby blues.  His smiles came easy and his laughter was contagious.
First Birthday, First Mother's Day

Over the next year, this adventure took unexpected twists and turns.  There were happy, joyful moments of first steps, first words, first vacations.  And there were agonizing, painful moments of charting unknown waters, watching LJB fall farther and farther behind his peers, watching him struggle to reach milestones that come so naturally for most.
Shortly after his 2nd birthday LJB was diagnosed and that is when the real work began.  In this world of parenting a “high functioning” (whatever that means) autistic child, I have had to spend so much time trying to explain his struggles to others, oftentimes having to convince family, friends, and professionals that there is a struggle.  Just because he is high functioning, just because at time, LJB can blend in with his peers and you would never know that he has autism, doesn’t lessen his struggle.  All of this convincing and explaining has its purpose- to get my boy what he needs.  To qualify him for services that will make the impossible possible for my kiddo.  However necessary, it is still wasted time.  Time I wasted when I could/should have been talking about all the things that make him wonderful, all the parts of him that make my heart ache with love for this little boy, all the joy that he brings to the world. 
In honor of his 3rd birthday tomorrow, I’ve compiled a list of some of my favorite things:

  
Curls!

1.  The way the back of his hair is always extra fuzzy in the mornings and extra curly after a bath
2.  The squinty face he makes when I take his picture
3.   The way he says “mama” with a little lilt on the end
4.  The way he loves his kitty
5.  The puddles in the bathroom floor after he finishes taking a bath
6.       How he runs through the living room and always expects someone/something to chase him
7.       The way he says, “ready, steady, GO!” before sending his car across the room
My guys!
8.       The way he purses his lips before offering a kiss
      9.       The way he still likes for me to hold him
10.    Watching him love his daddy
11.    Watching Mr B love our boy
12.   The way he says “okay” when I tell him not to get out of his bed at night
13.   The way he immediately gets out of his bed to test the door knob as soon as I close the door
14.   His innocence
15.   His giggle and his belly laugh
16.   The way he tells you what is about to happen on his favorite movies and TV shows, perfectly scripted
17.   The way he dances and always wants me to dance with him
18.   The way he lays on the couch like a teenager, all sprawled out
   19.   The fact that none of the flowers in our front yard have blooms because LJB picks them all
   20.   The way he can’t pass a puddle without jumping in it
   21.   His fascination with bugs
   22.   Watching him work so hard and achieve so much
   23.   Seeing the world through the eyes of a 3 year old
   24.   The little dimples on the backs of his hands
   25.   His sweet little grin and curious eyes

But most of all, I love being his mother!  Happy birthday, Buddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment