Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Our Holiday with the Mouse




My family splurged on a trip to Disneyworld for Christmas.  We left on December 19th and returned home on Christmas Eve. 


We flew from CVG to MCO.  It was an early morning flight and as soon as we got to our terminal, there was a huge display of balloons.  Anyone who knows LJB knows his obsession with balloons.  More than once, we have left the park in shame after LJB janked balloons from some unsuspecting first birthday party goers.  We have had hour long meltdowns while on a road trip because we drove past a car lot where balloons were strategically placed on every car antennae and I refused to stop and steal one for my child.  Kroger trips?  Fugeddaboutit.  We can’t go anywhere near the floral/balloon section.  However, I think a fair amount of sleep deprivation and a donut distraction and unfettered access to all the apps and games on the iPad kept us from beginning our trip that morning with a meltdown.  I also made sure to keep the balloon bouquet out of his line of sight as much as possible.



Once on the plane, Elmo and Mickey Mouse got us through the 1 hour flight.  It was pretty easy, but I can’t imagine doing a long flight.  That hour and fifteen was about our limit.

It must be the Disney magic, but that first day was such a low stress kind of day.  My daily life is stressful and hectic.  We are always on the move and I am always trying to foresee the next meltdown and figure out how to avoid it.  I sometimes get so bogged down in playing defense that I forget to enjoy the moment.

One low stress day turned into a low stress week.  Despite a trip to the ER, missing a full day in the parks, and having to change plans mid-stream, we managed to have one of the most fun vacations ever!


My takeaway from our trip is to try and absorb more of the moments that make up each day.  It takes an immense amount of planning for us to do lots of “normal family” things, but once I’ve planned all I can I need to let go and enjoy.  Toss out the mommy guilt for things beyond my control and let it be.  I just might find that there's so much fun I've been missing out on!




No comments:

Post a Comment