Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The joy of being wrong.

I rather enjoy the all-in-good-fun banter at work between myself and my boss and co-workers.  When the talk is about marriage and relationships, the jokes are usually directed to my 25 year old single and looking co-worker.  When we want to make fun of less-than-acceptable computer skills, the fun is turned to my 50-something technologically challenged co-worker, but when it comes down to politics, I am the lone left-leaning democrat in a sea of conservative republicans and, therefore, the butt of the joke. 
One evening, my boss, myself, and another manager in my office were waiting around for 7:00 meetings and the political talk began.   I am not “into politics”.  My political views are largely based merely on what I think is right and morally acceptable as human behavior.   During this particular political discussion the conversation had turned to the, “welfare is for a bunch of lazy people who choose to sit on their butt and do nothing while I work hard to provide for them” argument.  My boss and co-worker (and most of my friends and family) have no idea that due to a reduction in hours right before the birth of my son and a medically necessary 3 month period of bed rest, I was the very gracious and thankful recipient of a medical card to pay for his birth.  Mr B and I didn’t take this as an opportunity to apply for food stamps (though we would have qualified), nor did we quit our jobs and “live off the system.”  Nope.  We kept on working, kept on paying our bills, and cut back everywhere we could; Mr B even took on a second job.  We reported all our income to the Medicaid office and after spending 8 weeks at home with LJB, I returned to work.  While waiting for case review or to report additional income in the local welfare office, I saw many more hard working, yet stuck in poverty parents as opposed to lazy, iPhone talking, freshly manicured, name-brand wearing, system cheaters that seem to get so much attention.  Don’t get me wrong.  I’ve seen the cheaters too, but my overall world and political views based on my own personal experience are that: People are generally goodPeople are generally honestPeople are generally kindAnd the less fortunate deserve help from those more fortunate. (Do unto the least of these….)
I shared this theory with my boss and co-worker and was quickly told that I was just naïve and young. 
About one week later, my boss (Mr E – as in Mr Empathy), told me story about a recent lunch he had at a local greasy spoon.  He had gone by himself and was reading his newspaper and overheard a conversation between 2 women at the next booth.  They were talking about the recent death of a celebrity and he chimed in to give them some of the latest details that he had heard and then both parties returned to their lunches.  In a few moments, the women began discussing the Affordable Care Act.  They asked Mr E what he thought about it.  He let them know that he was quite conservative and they may not like his answers, but he thought that the mandate for coverage had gone too far.  Again, both parties returned to their lunches.  When it was time to pay his ticket, Mr E learned that the ladies at the booth beside him had paid his bill.  He came back to the office and sent us all home early, but not before telling me that maybe there were genuinely good, honest, and kind people.  I am still the lone lefty and still the brunt of all the wanna-be political stand up comedians in my office, but I think my argument, at least, has a little more merit in my office.

How the ACA will benefit my family:
With the elimination of pre-existing conditions and the expansion of coverage, we might someday be able to have a second child.  Currently our employer plan doesn’t cover maternity care until you reach a $5000 deductible and affordable (meaning less than 1/3 of our monthly income) private insurance doesn’t offer maternity coverage either.
Our employer may get a tax credit for providing medical coverage to its employees while being able to provide a more affordable option for coverage through the exchange.  Mr B and I work for the same small company.  Our current employer plan would cost nearly $800 per month for our family of 3.  This plan covers very little in emergency care or sick visits until you reach your $5000 deductible.
With the elimination of pre-existing conditions and the expansion of coverage, my son will receive better care.  Autism is currently classified as a mental health disorder by the DSM.  This means that our insurance will not cover any care or testing related to LJB’s ASD diagnosis.  There is a state program that through grants, provides 1 hour of therapy per week, however, he needs more and this will be a huge financial burden to us at $120-$200 per hour.
Leanna

1 comment:

  1. Leanna, this is the ongoing debate. I got to be a huge part of the healthcare reform in the state of Colorado. I also know a lot of the billing codes and other "loops of fire" you must jump through in order to get coverage. I can also tell you an insurance company in the state of KY that DOES cover services for ASD. $50,000/year - which is better than the Tricare benefit. If you would like my help with this, I'd be more than happy to give you some tips for a starting point. KY is a mandated state. Let me know :)

    ReplyDelete